Protecting Your Family's Future

What Happens to Child Support if My Ex Moves to Another State?

When your divorce is final and you have a permanent child support order in place, you can usually relax, knowing that state enforcement officials will help you collect support, should your ex fall behind or stop paying. But what happens if your ex moves out of state? Does the state of Texas have the authority to collect child support payments from a non-resident?

A federal law, the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA), governs the enforcement of child support orders across state lines. Under the UIFSA, a party does not need to go to court in another state to enforce a child support order. Instead, the child’s home state has the authority to enter an initial support order and can obtain jurisdiction over a payer in another state.

Under the UIFSA, the court in a child’s home state must register the original support order with the court in the state where the non-custodial parent resides. Once that is done, though, the courts in the non-custodial parent’s state have full legal authority to take a number of actions to recover support, including:

  • Garnishment of wages
  • Suspension of business or professional license
  • Suspension of driving privileges
  • Seizure of property
  • Attachment of any tax refunds

Contact Us

At the office of Linda Stewart Law, PLLC, in Baytown, we bring more than 8 years of experience to clients in south Texas. To learn how we can help, call our office at 281-420-8020 or contact us online. We offer an initial consultation at a reduced fee of $50. We accept credit cards and will set up a payment plan, if appropriate. Our offices are open Monday through Thursday, from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m., and until noon on Fridays. Evening and weekend appointments can be arranged upon request.

Se Habla Espanol | ASL and ESL Services Also Available

Left Menu Icon
Stewart Law PLLC