Protecting Your Family's Future

Modification of a Custody Agreement

When your attorneys negotiated a divorce decree they tried to anticipate every potential future scenario. However, sometimes things change for one or both parents to the point where it is time to modify the custody arrangement. In any case, it is useful to revisit child custody agreements every two to three years, to determine whether the parenting plan continues to be in the best interest of the children.

Reasons that people seek to change custody agreements include the shifting needs, interests and activities, as children grow older. For instance, a nursing baby may need to spend more time with his or her mother. However, an older child will not be as dependent on the mother and the parenting plan can be modified. Sometimes, teenagers do not like to shift back and forth between households, and request that they stay at one of the houses all of the time.

Other situations that could call for a custody change include changes in the living arrangements of one or both of the parents. For example, a parent may need to relocate to another state for a better career opportunity or because he or she is getting remarried. Other reasons to change a parenting plan include behavior problems with one of the children that occur at just one of the parents’ homes. Problems executing mandated visitation could potentially result in a custody modification.

There are also occasions when the custodial parent becomes unfit to parent as the primary legal and physical custodial parent, perhaps due to serious illness, or because they are mentally unfit, have been jailed, or are being neglectful or abuse to the children.

To change a custody arrangement, you will need to change your initial court ordered custody agreement. This means that you must file in court seeking a change in your custody plan. You will need to demonstrate that there has been a significant change in circumstances that warrant such a parenting plan change.

Questions About Changing a Custody Agreement? Contact a Family Law Attorney

Stewart Law, PLLC, located in Baytown, Texas, has provided legal counsel to men and women seeking to modify a custody arrangement, and in divorce and other family law cases for 8 years. If you have questions relating to step-child adoption, we can give you advice that will help you decide how to proceed. For an initial assessment and consultation, contact our family law firm online or call our office at (281) 420-8020, at a reduced fee of $50.

Left Menu Icon
Stewart Law PLLC